Monday, February 11, 2008

Peeping poof ball explosion


Back at Christmas we decided to order 25 day-old chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery. We ordered the Rarest of the Rare assortment...



At 4:00 a.m. (yes, 4:00 in the morning!) this morning we got a phone call from the US GOVT (according to caller ID) which is not something that happens every day at our house... A little to my disappointment it was the local post office begging us to come pick up our day old chicks that had just arrived. Then it dawned on me, once my neurons actually caught up with my ears - THEY WERE HERE!!!!! The chickens were finally here! So we hurried and got ready, all the while talking about how their journey must have been from Iowa in a mail truck, and what would they look like, and did they all survive, and then we stepped out into 6 degrees! There was no way we were going to put these fragile little things in the coop out in the barn, even though we had originally prepared to brood them out there. It was just too cold...



So, we drove the 5 miles to the post office and picked up the peepers and they now live in my bathtub! Thankfully we have 2 full baths at the house!



One of our dogs even met them this morning. So far none of the poof balls has become a canine chicken nugget, but that is why bathrooms have doors with good latches (or at least at our house, that is why!)


BTW, if you look closely in the last video , or to the left in the image here, you can see the automatic waterer I made. The feed store did not have chick waterers in stock yet so I was forced to come up with a solution. Originally I had a couple shallow dishes with water, but the chicks thought they made great swimming (and pooping!) pools, so that did not work out. I ended up taking a can and punching 4 holes in the top about 1/2 inch from the lip. I then found an old tray from a flower pot that got lost a long time ago that was not too deep and it worked great! I just filled the can up to the holes, put the flower pan over the top and turned it upside-down. I just saved myself some money and solved a problem - all by seeing the problem sideways!

We think this is a Phoenix, who may grow up to look like this.



And this one, we think is an Egyptian Fayoumis who might grow up to look like this.




No comments: